After our planetarium experience, you’ll have the opportunity to add-on our Wild Nights stargazing package, which includes the chance to look through the largest telescope in the Rockies.
After you’ve learned about the Jasper Dark Sky Preserve and the wonders above it in our interactive planetarium dome experience, check out our telescope experience..
…through the largest telescope in the Rockies.
Our telescope experience takes place at our winter dark sky location at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge golf clubhouse, 1 Old Lodge Road, just outside the town of Jasper…
– Fri and Sat (daily Dec 16, 2016 – Jan 7, 2017) until April 9, 2017 at Jasper Park Lodge
– daily May 1 – Oct 31, 2017 at Marmot Lodge (May-Oct times vary)
- planetarium experience 7:00 pm
- planetarium AND telescope experience 8:30 pm
- telescope experience ONLY at 9:15 pm
- an interactive guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescope in the Rockies
- an explanation of how telescopes work and how to pick the right one for you to explore the sky
- alook at the latest archived imagery from our telescopes in Jasper
- if-desired, a workshop on how to photograph the sky with your DSLR camera
- AND if the skies are clear enough, we will offer hands-on viewing through our telescopes** next to the planetarium.
This season’s potential sights are pictured at-right, and include:
* a variety of planets
* the Earth’s Moon
* star clusters full of thousands of stars
* colourful nebulas of cosmic gas where new stars are forming
* galaxies full of billions of stars or more
* we may also have the chance to see a meteor or even the aurora of the Northern Lights
** NOTE: The Telescope Experience is a learning opportunity with weather permitting views of the sky. While we do not need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if the skies are too cloudy, but will offer a “rain check” to re-book for another date in addition to proceeding with the other aspects of our telescope experience.
Telescope experience ONLY
Planetarium dome experience (does not include telescope experience)
Family (up to four): $65
*costs do not include 5% tax
pay online, by phone at 1-888-786-3641 (call 6 am – 8 pm MT) to reserve seats in advance, or at the planetarium
(cash, debit and all major credit cards accepted)
please note also that evenings at or near the full moon will reduce visibility of faint deep space objects – this has nothing to do with the weather or darkness of our observing location