Full-time / part-time (seasonal, year-round, evenings)
Salary: $19-$22/hour** ***
Join our team of super-awesome ‘incredipeople’ in the Canadian Rockies while getting paid to stargaze and tell stories of the night sky (previous astronomical knowledge not required) based at one of the world’s leading luxury hotel chains.
Every day at The Jasper Planetarium, we take guests on a wild adventure exploring the cosmos, whether it’s an interactive ‘tour’ in our planetarium dome theatre or looking through our many telescopes – the most powerful in the North American Rockies.
Our mission is to ‘edu-tain’ Jasper visitors about the wonders of space in the world’s largest accessible Dark Sky Preserve.
Jasper Planetarium tour guides are – above all else – leaders, storytellers and ‘people persons’.
Our Tour Guide role has three key parts:
- Leading people through our virtual ‘tour’ inside our dome theatre
- Showcasing amazing space phenomena via hands-on demos
- Operating telescopes and interpreting the night sky outside
Tour guides are also required to be proficient in our guest services station and may be called upon to fulfill this aspect of our workplace at times, as well as assisting in marketing (including social media) efforts as part of their job.
Tour guides will also need to be capable lifting 50 lbs (26 kg) by themselves, and comfortable speaking to public, including during daytime “sidewalk astronomy” sessions.
We are looking to hire people with the following traits:
- Outgoing and confident public speaker
- Engaging and interesting to listen to: A natural storyteller
- Able to work outdoors and operate equipment in all weather conditions (cold or hot) and times of day
- Positive, solution-oriented problem solvers, troubleshooters, life-long learners
- Able to learn and retain tour info – Encyclopedic knowledge of facts
- Confident conflict resolver with strong work ethic
- Able to work holidays, weekends and night shifts (some late nights required)
- Manual labour required (moving/cleaning/lifting gear/premises/equipment)
- Background in tour guiding, nature interpretation, performing arts and/or related experience an asset
E.g. breakdown of a potential day:
20-30% Guest Services
10-20% Manual labour
For extra hourly pay, we are also looking for staff interested in conducting tours while driving our shuttle for part of the work day.
We can offer you:
- Base wage starting at $19/hour** (after $16/hr training period***)
+ retroactive end-of-season bonus of $1/hour worked** (essentially as if pay was $20/hr)
AND retroactive 1-year bonus of an additional $2/hour worked** (essentially as if pay was $22/hr)
+ paid online review incentives
- A friendly, close-knit, passionate team by your side
- Subsidized accommodation (furnished) View our accommodations here
- Subsidized meal plan
- Health benefits plan (for year-round staff, after 6 months)
- Free on-site parking
Submit your resume to [email protected] with at least 2 references. In your cover letter, tell us a fun fact that you recently learned (or just researched) about space and why you would like to join our team.
Expected start date:
We are currently hiring for May 2023 start dates
– Only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted
– *** training period will depend on performance and learning ability but we aim for this to be a short number of weeks (after this time, the employee will be evaluated to establish if they have “made the cut”) Retroactive pay goes back to completion of training, not first employment day
– Thank you in advance for considering The Jasper Planetarium as a potential employer!
The Jasper Planetarium has fast become one of the most exciting and dynamic new attractions in the Canadian Rockies. We have been featured in hundreds of national and international media and won a coveted ALTO Award from Travel Alberta in 2019 for excellence in tourism product delivery. We have also won several “Travelers Choice” Tripadvisor awards, most recently for 2022. As we continue to grow, our core vision remains the same: To empower visitors to discover the wonders of the cosmos through a team of passionate, dedicated guides in our pristine wilderness setting.