Join us for a guided ‘tour’ in our 40-seat domed theatre LIVE with our knowledgeable staff. See local constellations, recent views of Jasper’s Northern Lights, the Rockies from space, and more!
- Adult Ages 18+
- Adult - WSW + FOF Ages 18+
- Youth Ages 4-17
- Youth - WSW + FOF Ages 4-17
The world’s largest accessible astronomy park!
In addition to being the world’s largest, most accessible dark sky preserve, Jasper is also one of the smallest towns in North America with its own planetarium.
Enjoy an entertaining, fun-filled evening of astronomy. This full program includes both Planetarium Experience & Jasper Telescope Experience.
Planetarium Experience — indoors
A virtual guided tour in our inflated, domed theatre with a LIVE local astronomy guide. Orbit the earth, looking down on night time storms and the auroras. Explore local constellations, the Northern Lights, the Milky Way, and right to the edge of the universe from Jasper Dark Sky Preserve. Includes time for a Q&A with staff. Duration: 40 minutes.
Telescope Experience*** — outdoors, dress warmly
Join us outside the planetarium for…
- an interactive guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies
- an explanation of how telescopes work. o A look at the latest archived imagery from our telescopes in Jasper.
- hands-on experiences: make an aurora, hold a meteorite! (NEW come see our new Mars rock!)
- a look at how to photograph the sky with your DSLR camera, if of interest
- also, if the skies are clear enough, we will offer guided viewing through our telescopes*** next to the planetarium.
*** For health and safety reasons, our telescope experience is currently ‘touchless’, using video-based telescopes as our primary observing tool (so guests never have to put their face up to a telescope eyepiece – instead, live telescope views will appear on 4K TV screens, which provide the brightest, most colourful views of space possible PLUS no waiting in line for telescope views – Many people can view at the same time!)
In cases where binoculars are available, we will disinfect them after each use by an individual travel party.
For hands-on activities, disposable plastic gloves are provided.
NOTE: The Telescope Experience is a learning opportunity with weather permitting views of the sky. While we do not need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes, we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if the skies are too cloudy, but will offer a “rain check” to re-book for another date.
Wild Sky Wednesdays / Far Out Fridays
Add an unforgettable experience onto your already out-of-this-world combo tour! Only an additional $20 for adults and $10 for youths.
Available on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the summer.
Please note: transportation is NOT included for this activity. This tour requires a minimum of 10 participants to run. If this number is not met before the start time, participants will join the rest of our Planetarium/Telescope COMBO guests for the evening and be refunded the difference in price.
Meet at the Jasper Planetarium – Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, 1 Old Lodge Road (at the planetarium desk in the Main Lodge) then drive together to the binocular location (after dome and telescope experience at the planetarium)!
Join local astronomy guides from The Jasper Planetarium for an out-of-this-world Rocky Mountain evening experience:
- Includes our world-exclusive Planetarium dome theatre experience AND Telescope Experience, both with local astronomy guide.
- Then, travel to a specially-selected site in the world’s largest accessible dark sky preserve.
- Laser-guided tour of naked-eye constellations and planets (if visible).
- Learn together with binoculars we supply and look at our Milky Way and deep space objects for yourself.
- Get tips on how to use your DSLR camera to photograph auroras and the Milky Way.
- If weather permits, you’ll also enjoy a guided tour of live objects in space as seen through our telescopes.
Duration: up to 3 hours, come and go as you like
NOTE: The Binocular Experience is a learning opportunity with many outdoor activities that are not weather-dependent and weather-permitting views of the sky. While we DO NOT need the sky to be completely clear to use our binoculars, we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if skies are too cloudy to observe with our binoculars, but can offer a “rain check” to re-book for another date if desired.