Join us for a guided ‘tour’ in our 40-seat domed theatre LIVE with our knowledgeable staff. See local constellations, recent views of Jasper’s Northern Lights, the Rockies from space, and more!
- Adult Ages 18+
- Adult - WSW + FOF Ages 18+
- Youth Ages 4-17
- Youth - WSW + FOF Ages 4-17
A full evening of cosmic discovery!
- award-winning** ‘weather-proof’ evening program
- world-exclusive LIVE interactive planetarium experience
- FREE 2-year rain-check (skies not clear? come on back at no-additional-charge!)
In addition to being the world’s largest, easily-accessible dark sky preserve, Jasper is also one of the smallest towns in North America with its own planetarium.
As of Dec 13 THIS TOUR IS CLOSED (our outdoor Telescope Experience is still open)
Enjoy an entertaining, fun-filled evening of cosmic discovery! This full program includes both our Planetarium Experience & Telescope Experience.
Planetarium Experience — indoors
A virtual guided tour in our domed theatre with a LIVE local astronomy guide. Explore local First Nations constellations, see recent Northern Lights displays in Jasper, watch the Milky Way soar overhead, and journey into space for a view of Jasper Dark Sky Preserve from hundreds of km above, right to the edge of the universe! (And back) Includes time for a Q&A with our staff. Duration: 30-40 minutes.
Telescope Experience*** — outdoors, dress warmly
Join us outside the planetarium for…
- an interactive guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies and how they work
- a look at the latest 4K ‘instant-replays’ of live views as seen through our telescopes in Jasper.
- a look at how to photograph the Northern Lights and Milky Way with your DSLR camera (if of-interest)
- hands-on experiences: make an aurora, hold a meteorite! (NEW come see our new Mars rock!)
- also, if the skies are clear enough, we will offer LIVE guided viewing through our telescopes*** next to the planetarium.
Duration: 60-90 minutes.
*** For health and safety reasons, our telescope experience is currently ‘touchless’, using video-based telescopes as our primary observing tool (so guests never have to put their face up to a telescope eyepiece – instead, live telescope views will appear on 4K TV screens, which provide the brightest, most colourful views of space possible PLUS no waiting in line for telescope views – Many people can view at the same time!)
In cases where binoculars are available, we will disinfect them after each use by an individual travel party.
For hands-on activities, disposable plastic gloves are provided.
NOTE: The Telescope Experience is a learning opportunity with weather permitting views of the sky. While this tour features a number of non-weather-dependent activities, we DO NOT need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes, we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if skies are too cloudy to observe with our binoculars, BUT a 2-year “rain check” to re-book for another date is included in this tour.
Wild Sky Wednesdays / Far Out Fridays (summer only)
THIS TOUR IS CURRENTLY CLOSED (our outdoor Telescope Experience is still open)
Add an unforgettable experience onto your already out-of-this-world combo tour! Only an additional $20 for adults / additional $10 for youths.
Available on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the summer.
Please note: transportation is NOT included for this activity. This tour requires a minimum of 10 participants to run. If this number is not met before the start time, participants will join the rest of our Planetarium/Telescope COMBO guests for the evening and be refunded the difference in price.
Meet at the Jasper Planetarium – Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, 1 Old Lodge Road (at the planetarium desk in the Main Lodge) then drive together to the binocular location (after dome and telescope experience at the planetarium)!
Join local astronomy guides from The Jasper Planetarium for an out-of-this-world Rocky Mountain evening experience:
- Includes our world-exclusive Planetarium dome theatre experience AND Telescope Experience, both with local astronomy guide.
- Then, travel to a specially-selected site in the world’s largest accessible dark sky preserve.
- Laser-guided tour of naked-eye constellations and planets (if visible).
- Learn together with binoculars we supply and look at our Milky Way and deep space objects for yourself.
- Get tips on how to use your DSLR camera to photograph auroras and the Milky Way.
- If weather permits, you’ll also enjoy a guided tour of live objects in space as seen through our telescopes.
Duration: up to 3 hours, come-and-go-as-you-like
NOTE: The Binocular Experience is a learning opportunity with many outdoor activities that are not weather-dependent and weather-permitting views of the sky. While this tour features a number of non-weather-dependent activities, we DO NOT need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes and binoculars, we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if skies are too cloudy to observe with our binoculars, BUT a 2-year “rain check” to re-book for another date is included in this tour.