Visit the world’s largest accessible dark sky preserve Jasper National Park! Guided tours take place in our dome theatre, then outside with the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies!
PLANETARIUM AND TELESCOPE COMBO WITH SHUTTLE
- Adult Ages 18+
- Youth Ages 4 -17 • Please select one adult first
A full evening of cosmic discovery!
In addition to being the world’s largest easily-accessible dark sky preserve, Jasper is also one of the smallest towns in North America with its own planetarium.
Enjoy an entertaining, fun-filled evening of cosmic discovery! This full program includes both our Planetarium Experience & Telescope Experience.
Planetarium Experience — indoors
Welcome to a virtual guided tour in our 34-seat domed theatre with a LIVE local astronomy guide. Orbit the Earth, looking down on night time storms and the auroras. Explore local constellations, the Northern Lights, the Milky Way, and right to the edge of the universe from Jasper Dark Sky Preserve. Includes time for a Q&A with staff. Duration: 40 minutes.
Telescope Experience — outdoors
Join us outside the planetarium for…
- An interactive guided tour of the largest, most powerful telescopes in the Rockies and how they work
- A 4K ‘instant-replay’ of the latest screen-captures from recent live views through our telescopes in Jasper
- A look at how to photograph the Northern Lights and Milky Way with your DSLR camera (upon-request)
- Hands-on experiences: make an aurora, hold a meteorite!
- Also, if the skies are clear enough, we will offer LIVE guided views through our optical and video-based telescopes next to the planetarium.
As this is an outdoor event, please dress for evening Rocky Mountain weather (i.e. warmly!)
NOTE: the Telescope Experience is a learning opportunity with many non-weather-dependent aspects AND weather permitting views of the sky.
While we do not need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies.
We DO NOT provide refunds if the skies are too cloudy BUT this tour includes a 2-year “rain check” to re-book for another date.
(No action is required to activate this rain-check. It is automatically included in your tour)
Please add the number of people in your group and select your requested pick-up location for each:
•Forest Park Hotel (76 Connaught Dr)
•Chateau Jasper (96 Geikie St)
•The Crimson (200 Connaught Dr)
•Jasper Adventure Centre (611 Patricia St)
•Mount Robson Inn (902 Connaught Dr)
•HI Jasper (708 Sleepy Hollow Rd)
Upon arrival at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, please check-in at the Planetarium desk located within the main lodge.
Once the tour is complete, please meet at the wooden shelter situated in the bus-parking area on the Main Street for your shuttle!