Join our LIVE astronomy experts for an afternoon OR evening exploring Jasper Dark Sky Preserve – the world’s largest accessible astronomy park – starting inside during our world-exclusive dome theatre experience THEN outside with the largest public telescope in the Rockies.
LOCATION at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge 1-780-931-3275
(don’t have a vehicle to get here? take the shuttle)
- Winter times 8:45 pm (MON/WED/FRI/SAT, Nov-March + DAILY during HOLIDAYS & MARCH BREAK) full list of dates
- Spring times 9:15 pm (MON/WED/FRI/SAT in April) full list of dates
- Summer times full list of dates
4:30 pm (DAILY July – mid-Sept)
9:45 pm (DAILY May – mid-Sept)
- Fall times 9:00 pm (DAILY mid-Sept – Oct) full list of dates
Inside the planetarium, your guide will share local aboriginal constellations, views of the Northern Lights from Jasper, and take you into space orbiting above the Rockies and on to the edge of the universe…all in about 35-45 minutes (depending on how much audience-participation there is)
Then, come outside the dome for an all-weather telescope experience where you’ll:
- tour of the largest, most powerful public telescopes in the Rockies
- see an ‘instant-replay’ of recent 4K imagery from our video telescope
- get tips on how to use your DSLR camera to photograph the Milky Way and auroras
- try hands-on activities, including the chance to view meteorites up-close and even hold one in your hand!
- if weather permits, you’ll also enjoy LIVE guided views through our telescopes
- if skies aren’t clear during your tour, we also offer a complimentary 2-year ‘rain-check’ to come back again for any of our daily evening or afternoon (summer only) telescope sessions, at no additional charge
For the year-round evening version of this activity, weather-permitting views through the telescopes might include evening planets, stars, galaxies, nebulas (clouds of colourful gas) and maybe even a meteor or the Northern Lights!
During the Summer afternoon version of this activity (summer only) weather-permitting views through the telescopes might include giant 100-Earth-big flames on the Sun, details on the Moon, daytime views of bright planets such as Venus, and close-up glimpses of some of the most breathtaking summits of the surrounding mountains.
Adults / $59 ($65 in winter)
Youth (4-17) / $25
(includes planetarium experience and telescope experience) *prices not including 5% GST tax
pay online or by phone at 1-780-931-3275 to reserve in advance, OR book right at the planetarium retail desk or the Concierge – both located in the Main Lodge of Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (cash, debit, VISA, and Mastercard accepted)
** NOTE: The Telescope Experience is a learning opportunity with weather permitting views of the sky. While we do not need the sky to be completely clear to use our telescopes we CAN NOT guarantee clear skies. We DO NOT provide refunds if the skies are too cloudy, but will offer a “rain check” to re-book for another date in addition to proceeding with the other aspects of our telescope experience.
Please note also that evenings at or near the full moon will reduce visibility of faint deep space objects – this has nothing to do with the weather or darkness of our observing location
Our hotel-based location – with a minimum of light pollution on the edge of town – offers the ideal mix of convenience and great views of stars, planets, galaxies and more. This is an outdoor activity so dress warm!
Get a preview of what you’ll see inside on the below CBC News segment in the planetarium: